Denver Federal Employment Law Attorneys
Helping Federal Workers in Colorado Succeed
Do you work for the federal government and need to file an employment law claim? At Colorado Employee Advocates, our Denver federal employment law attorneys understand the ins and out of federal employment law and how it affects government employees. We can help you fight for just compensation and fair treatment if you have been subject to unfair treatment at work.
Individuals who work for the government must promptly submit claims related to discrimination, harassment, wage theft, wrongful termination, and other on the job mistreatment, so don’t hesitate to reach out to a local lawyer to discuss your case and get the legal representation you need.
Federal Employment Laws
There are numerous laws at the federal level that protect both public and private employees. If you are a federal employee, you are entitled to on-the-job protection under laws such as:
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits employment discrimination based on several factors, such as race, color, religion, sex, and national origin.
- The Fair Labor Standards Act requires that employees must be paid overtime if they work more than 40 hours in one week. However, there are certain exceptions.
- The 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities who work at companies with 15 or more employees as well as all government agencies.
- The federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides workers up to 12 weeks of unpaid and job-protected leave for significant family and medical reasons, as well as for those on active duty in the military.
The above list only scratches the surface when it comes to federal protections. To read about other important federal employment laws, visit the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission website’s Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination Questions And Answers page. We also welcome you to give us a call to discuss the specific facts of your unique case.
It should be noted that while there remains no nationwide law against sexual orientation discrimination as of this writing, Colorado does have a state law that prevents such discrimination in the workplace. Please feel free to reach out to us directly for more details about whether this law can apply to your claim.
How to File a Claim
Unlike standard employment law claim, federal employees have only 45 days to contact an EEO counselor and initiate a claim against their employer. We realize this can seem like short notice, so we are available for same-day appointments if you’d like to discuss your case right away.
When filing a complaint, you must include:
- Your name, address, and telephone number,
- Your job title,
- A short but detailed description of the problem,
- When the incident(s) occurred,
- The type of incident that occurred, and
- Any other information you have that can corroborate your experience (emails, pictures, etc.).
Once you have filed a complaint—or, better yet, before you do so—reach out to a federal employment law attorney. At Colorado Employee Advocates, we will help you understand your rights and options. We will never sugarcoat your situation, instead providing you the honest and straightforward guidance you need to make an informed decision about your case.
Discuss Your Case with Our Experienced Denver Federal Employment Lawyer
Whatever your situation, our legal team can walk you through your options and help you determine the right way to pursue your case. When your rights are violated, it’s imperative that you get legal help as soon as possible. Colorado Employee Advocates is here to give you back your voice.
Call (303) 416-7004 to learn more about our law group and your options.
“Justin represented me in a wrongful termination/breach of contract case involving sexual harassment. The case settled in my favor out of court, after several months of debate between Justin and my previous employer's attorney.”- Past Client
“Justin was integral in reaching a positive outcome. I believe that Justin always put my interests first. Justin was accessible and I never had to wait long for returned calls. I trust Justin and felt comfortable having him represent me.”- Paige
“Mr. Plaskov has litigated two cases for me both have been highly successful would recommend him not just for knowledge and abilities also for his honesty.”- Ernie